Skip to main content

2024 Fire Levy Lid Lift and EMS Levy Information

Clallam 2 Fire-Rescue will be placing a Fire Levy Lid Lift and EMS Levy on the August 6th, 2024 primary ballot.  More information on each can be found by following the link to the right.

Both of these Levy items are critical to sustain our current level of services and allow the fire district to enhance our service levels to meet the future needs of our community.

A firefighter in full gear crouching at a window, ready for action.
Firefighters at a vehicle accident site, working near an overturned blue truck.
Bar chart of fire district call volume from 2011-2023, showing a 103% increase in calls, with a trend line.
2024 Fire District Staffing 

Full-time Staff                                                                                          

1- Fire Chief    

1- Deputy Fire Chief (Currently Vacant)                                                                                            

1- Administrative Specialist

1- Volunteer Training Coordinator

2- Captain/Paramedics

1- Captain/EMT

2- Firefighter/Paramedics

4- Firefighter EMTs


Approximatley 35 firefighters and EMTs

Fire Station 21 Gales Addition- Staffed 24/7 by 2 personnel (one a paramedic) and volunteers

Fire Station 22 Dry Creek - Staffed by 2 personnel Monday-Thursday 7 AM - 6PM and voluneers

Fire Station 23 - Black Diamond- Staffed by volunteers

Fire Station 25- Deer Park - Staffed by volunteers

Services Provided: We are a small organization with a large mission! We provide the following services to the community- 
A group of firefighters in full gear in front of fire trucks with a mountain backdrop.

Structural Fire Protection


Group of firefighters in yellow shirts and helmets, with a fire truck and mountains in the background.

Wildland Fire Protection


A group of paramedics with emergency equipment and an ambulance, with mountains in the background.

EMS Advanced Life Support and Basic Life Support Treatment and Ambulance Transport



A group of firefighters in front of vehicles with a helicopter flying above, set against a backdrop of mountains and a clear sky.

Technical Rescue (Rope/High Angle, Swift-Water, Backcountry)


As well as;

  • Fire Prevention and Education
  • CPR First Aid Classes
  • Pre-incident/Emergency Preparedness
How are Clallam 2 Fire-Rescue's services funded? 

In 2024 the Fire District has an operational budget of $2,542,100. 

The  primary source of funding comes from our fire levy which accounts for 82% of all revenue recieved.  An additional 13% coms from EMS ambulance transport billing.  This accounts for 95% of all revenue the Fire District recieves in a year.  Other sources include grants, timber tax revenue, and donations which makes up the remaining 5% of our annual budget.

The Fire District recieves no regular funding from Clallam County, the State of Washington, or Federal government except for occational grant opportunites.

Is the Fire Levy a new tax? 

No, the regular fire levy has been in place since the formation of the Fire District.  Voters approve at what level the levy is funded.  In 2020 voters approved a levy rate of $1.36 per $1,000 of assessed property value.

State law limits the yearly growth in the Fire District's total property tax revenue collection to a maximum of 1% over the amount collected in the prior year, plus the value of new construction. As property values have risen, the rate of the Regular Fire Levy has dropped.

Currently the Fire Distirc regular fire levy is at $0.96 per $1,000 of assessed value.  Proposition 1 seeks to raise that up to $1.50 per $1,000

What is the regular fire levy, and what does it pay for? 

In Washington state, fire districts and other local governments (such as cities, schools, etc.) regularly depend on voter-approved property taxes as a primary source of revenue.

Proposition 1 is a local voter-approved property tax. Revenue from the Regular Fire Levy funds the Fire District's fire and emergency medical response services. Finances go towards firefighting equipment, personnel salaries, training, as well as fire station construction, new fire vehicles and major maintenance.